Want to Recycle Glass?
RAG recycling leaflet
Who to Contact
The Glass Recycling Company
Tel: 0861 2 GLASS (45277)
Tips for collecting glass
- All glass bottles and jars (green, amber, clear) whole and broken bottles and jars can be recycled.
- To find a glass bank near you SMS “Glass” and the name of your suburb to 32310. SMS costs R1. OR Visit www.theglassrecyclingcompany.co.za to find a glass bank in your area.
- Plan your trips to the bottle banks to fit into your daily schedule – it will become part of your plan rather than a chore! Take your children along with you and show them how and where to put their bottles.
- Purchase an additional sturdy dustbin/container that can house all your recyclable glass before depositing it into the local glass bank.
- If delivering the waste glass can’t be accommodated into your daily routine contract the services of a waste removal company to collect it from your home each week.
- Begin recycling at the office and not just at home and encourage your child’s school to participate or start a recycling programme of their own.
- Glass bank allocations are made to appropriate site owners based on the following strategic considerations: Sufficient traffic to warrant a glass bank, Site location, Visibility and accessibility to the general public and Safety considerations (are also taken into account)
- Try and avoid recycling at night to avoid disturbing the surrounding communities.
- Reuse old glass containers – they are great for storing paint, crayons, buttons and arts and crafts tools, such as paint brushes, rulers and much more.
- Take refillable bottles back to the retail outlet you purchased them from and get back a “returns” deposit.
- If the local glass bank you visit is full be sure to report this to The Glass Recycling Company on 0861 2 GLASS. (45277).